What's going on with Sheryle?

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Kap kun ka!

...that's hello in Thai. It's awesome here you guys...I don't even know where to begin. everything is so different than the U.S. We started off at Sammuk, a boarding school where we taught english, held sports clinics, and hung out with the student. It was cool b/c back in the States the camps are for younger kids, so it was nice being with people closer to our age. They had a few Americans that taught english there that we hung out with. It is semi-frustrating seeing that I know like 2 words in Thai, but most of the older students could understand and speak some english.
I'm going to jump back to the trip over here...my team had a lay-over in the Philippines. So I decided to take them out to explore the capital, Manila. We had an awesome time there...even though it was only a few hours. We were able to walk around these " neighborhoods" that had little stands everywhere, but it was for locals...we didn't see a single tourist the whole time. I love going to places like that, b/c we're able to really experience what it's like there.
I have TONS of pics, but we're at this internet cafe...so the computers are extremely slow and we don't have much time here. I'll try and get them on here ASAP.
When we left the school (near Bangkok) we traveled to Rayong (Marty, you can chart that on the map!) here we've been working in schools that have never had Americans. The kids are adorable! I can't even begin to describe the joy on their faces...they are so precious! All of them wanted our autographs...it was crazy. Our programs are different from the US, obviously, but we use some of the same stuff. Thailand's main religion is Buddism...they are temples all over the place. However, there have been several kids who ask us why we believe in God, and it's been amazing seeing Him work in a country where Christianity pretty much doesn't exist. For me, it's been really eye opening in terms of our freedom in the US...you can ask any Thai person what they think of American, and they all say freedom. I would've never guessed, but after being here for almost a week I can see where they're coming from.
Yesturday after our time at the school we went to the beach...it was awesome. We went on a banana boat (kind of like a big tube that 5 people can sit on)...it was sooo cheap to rent a boat for an hour.
Ah, I have soo much that I want to tell you guys, but it's hard to put most of what I've experienced in words. We leave tomorrow for Puket (the city where the tsunami hit). I'm really looking forward to that...it's supposed to be beautiful there.
Please keep my team in your prayers...so far everything's going great, so let's hope that continues!


Thanks for all the emails, keep them coming! Sorry I can't write each of you back!

I love and miss you all tons!

Sheryle

p.s. you can check out www.uwthailand.com if you would like. the othe head coach has been updating that blog...I personally haven't checked it out yet, but he might have put stuff on there that Iv'e forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home