What's going on with Sheryle?

Monday, July 04, 2005

Phuket

OK, so I LOVE Phuket. It's amazing here...there's still so much need, it's crazy. I woke up early this morning and went for a run on the beach...we're staying right on the coast here, it's beautiful! What I saw this morning was so awesome, yet kind of sad. There is still quite a bit of ruble left over from the tsunami. The town we're in, Khao-Lak, is the city that had the most deaths in all of Thailand. There are refugee camps for people who are still with out homes. We're actually going to help build a house on Wednesday. Anyways, as we were running we would come across trees w/ pictures of people nailed to it and there would be crosses there, candles, etc. It's exactly what we saw on TV back in the States. It's so crazy that I'm here, in the heart of where the disaster struck. It's pretty different seeing it first hand as opposed to on the news. There are chairs laying in the middle of the beaches, medicine bottles, clothes...pretty much the people's physical belongings scattered here and there. You can see where houses used to stand...trees uprooted...I could go on and on. Today we went into two schools...it's awesome working with these kids. A huge rain storm came through when we were supposed to break into our sports sessions, so everyone ended up on the soccer field in this torrential downpour. The field was pretty much under water. Everyone was soaked to the bone...diving headers through HUGE mud puddles. Good times were definitely had by all!
We've met soo many people here in Phuket that work w/ Christian organizations...most are here for the relief effort still, so I've been able to meet tons of cool peeps.
The missionaries we're working with are awesome...they have the most amazing hearts.
Wish I could write more, but I gotta run!

Love,
Sheryle

1 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheryle,

It sounds like you are having wonderful adventures. I am both thrilled for you and slightly envious that I too can not be trekking across the world in search of authenticity and beauty. I leave you with a quote from Henry David Thoreau..."I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world."

Be safe and live deliberately :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home